Coconut Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups red lentils
- big handful of sliced spinach
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until they just begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cinnamon and cumin.
- Give everything a good stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Then add the tomato paste and stir again.
- Stir in the stock, water, coconut milk and lentils.
- Simmer-do not boil-for about 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Throw in the spinach and stir it around until it just wilts.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.