Chunky Vegetable-Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup green (French) lentils
- 1 pound whole small mushrooms (halve or quarter any larger mushrooms)
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 of a head napa or red cabbage, sliced into strips (2 cups)
- In a saucepan or Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lentils.
- Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients except cabbage and simmer, covered, 25 minutes.
- Divide among soup bowls.
- Top with cabbage.