Chilled Lemony Pea Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups shelled peas or one 10-ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon snipped mint
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Lemon slices
- In a saucepan heat oil over medium heat.
- Add green onion and cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth.
- Add remaining broth to saucepan.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl stir together cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to saucepan and cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in peas and mint.
- Let mixture cool slightly.
- Transfer pea mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer pureed mixture to a bowl.
- Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 1 hour.
- To serve, stir in lemon juice and garnish with lemon slices.