Chile Peanut Rice
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup ghee or olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 small Indian green chiles or serrano chiles, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the cooked rice, salt, and lime juice.
- Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, warm 1/4 cup of the ghee.
- Once the ghee melts, add the black mustard seeds and remove the pan from the heat after a few seconds.
- Add the curry leaves, making sure they get fully coated in the oil.
- Return the pan to medium-low heat and add the peanuts.
- Cook, stirring, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour the peanut-spice-oil mixture over the rice and toss to incorporate.
- In the same pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 1/4 cup ghee.
- Once the ghee melts, add the chiles and onion, spread them in an even layer in the pan, and cook, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir the sauteed onion and chiles into the rice.
- Taste and adjust the salt and lime juice if needed.
- Garnish with the cilantro before serving.