Chickpea Flour Green Beans
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- In a skillet over low heat, toast the chickpea flour, stirring continuously, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the flour to a plate and let it cool.
- Wipe the skillet.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the ajwain seeds and cook until they pop.
- Swirl in the turmeric and add the asafetida (if using), onion, and chile.
- Cook, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans and salt, then the toasted chickpea flour.
- Add 1/4 cup water and mix everything together so the flour evenly coats the beans.
- Spread the beans out into an even layer in the pan, cover, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Once the beans are cooked, scrape up the bottom of the pan and mix into the beans.
- Remove from the heat and add the lime juice.
- Taste and add more lime juice, if needed.
- Stir before serving.