- 1 16-ounce jar thick and chunky salsa
- 1 15-ounce can yellow hominy or garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 9-ounce package (2 cups) frozen diced cooked chicken
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup snipped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
- Chopped red onion and/or sliced green onion (optional)
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Chopped avocado (optional)
- Combine salsa, hominy, beans, broth, chicken, chile peppers, chili powder, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Top each serving with sour cream, red onion, cheese, and/or avocado.