Chicken, Barley, And Leek Stew
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 49-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup regular barley (not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup sliced leek (3 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil or Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Slivered basil or snipped parsley (optional)
- In a skillet cook chicken in hot oil until brown on all sides.
- In a slow cooker combine chicken and all remaining ingredients except parsley.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Sprinkle with basil or parsley before serving.