Chicken And Lentil Soup With Garlic-Cheese Toasts
- 1 19-ounce can ready-to-serve lentil soup
- 1 cup loosely packed frozen crinkle-cut carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 8 slices French bread
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1 5.5-ounce can tomato juice (2/3 cup)
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium saucepan stir together soup, carrots, and thyme.
- Bring mixture to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for garlic-cheese toasts, place bread slices on unheated rack of a broiler pan.
- Spread with margarine.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Broil 5 inches from heat for 1 minute.
- Top with cheese.
- Return to broiler.
- Broil 30 to 60 seconds.
- Stir tomato juice and chicken into soup.
- Heat through.
- Serve toasts with soup.