Cheesy Potato Soup
- 1 bunch green onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3/4 cup roasted red sweet peppers
- 3/4 cup pale lager or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Slice green onions, separating white portions from green portions.
- In a Dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat.
- Add white portions of the green onions and cook until tender.
- In a blender combine cooked onions, 1 cup of the potatoes, roasted sweet peppers, and lager and blend until smooth.
- Transfer pureed mixture to Dutch oven.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and cheese and cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through (do not boil).
- In a skillet heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining 1 cup potatoes and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove potatoes from skillet.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle potatoes with the 1/4 teaspoon paprika.
- Top each serving with cooked potatoes, sliced green onion tops, and additional paprika.