Cheesy Chile Broccoli
- 5 cups broccoli florets and stems
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 to 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, combine the broccoli, salt, and 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the broccoli to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe the skillet.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, stir in the red chile flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic, return the cooked broccoli to the pan, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the broccoli to a shallow 8- or 9-inch square baking pan and top evenly with the cheese.
- Switch the oven to broil and place the baking pan on the top oven rack.
- Broil for about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.