- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 12-ounce cans evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces) (optional)
- In a Dutch oven cook celery, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender.
- Add broth and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Strain vegetables, reserving broth.
- Return broth to Dutch oven.
- Discard vegetables.
- In a bowl stir together evaporated milk and flour.
- Stir into broth.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add 2 cups cheese and cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in white pepper.
- Sprinkle each serving with some of the 1/2 cup cheese.