Caribbean Chicken Stew
- 2 onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 3- to 3 1/2-pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces, wing tips removed
- 2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 10-ounce package frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven cook onions in hot oil over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and broth and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, then transfer chicken to bowl.
- Add sweet potatoes, undrained tomatoes, corn, red pepper flakes, and salt to Dutch oven.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken and shred/chop meat.
- Skim fat from soup.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the vegetables to a blender or food processor.
- Add 1 cup of the broth, let cool slightly and blend until smooth.
- Return to Dutch oven.
- Add chicken and ginger.
- Heat through.
- Stir in coconut milk.
- Serve over rice.