- 2 pounds any onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter, or more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the root ends from the onions and peel them.
- Cut the onions in half from top to bottom, then lay each half flat side down and cut it into thin slices.
- Put the onions in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cover and cook, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions are dry and beginning to stick to the pan, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the oil and a large pinch of salt and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, tender, and as browned and soft, another 5 to 40 minutes.
- As they cook, add more oil if necessary to keep them from sticking - no more than 2 additional tablespoons - and lower or raise the heat so that they sizzle without burning.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding some black pepper.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.