- 2 pounds skinless salmon or cod fillets, and/or sea scallops
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped tomato
- 1 14- to 15-ounce can fish stock or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed, or 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- Fennel leaves or shredded basil
- Rinse fish and/or scallops and pat dry.
- If using fish, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- In a Dutch oven cook sliced fennel in hot oil over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomato, stock, dried oregano (if using), and anise seeds.
- Bring to boiling.
- Stir in fish and/or scallops.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in fresh oregano (if using).
- Garnish each serving with fennel leaves.