- 1 medium garlic clove, halved
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 or 3 oil-packed anchovies
- Dash Worcestershire sauce, or more as needed
- 2 medium heads romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup croutons
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Rub the inside of a bowl with the cut sides of the garlic clove, then throw the halves away.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and adjust the heat so it bubbles.
- Use a spoon to lower the eggs into the pot and cook for 60 to 90 seconds.
- Remove the eggs, cool, then crack them into the bowl and scoop out the white that clings to the shell if necessary to remove all of the egg.
- Beat the eggs.
- Gradually drizzle in the lemon juice and then the oil, beating all the while.
- Stir in the anchovies and Worcestershire sauce, using the fork to mash the anchovies into bits and incorporate them into the dressing.
- Add the lettuce and toss well.
- Sprinkle with salt, lots of pepper, and more Worcestershire sauce.
- Top with the croutons and Parmesan, then toss one last time at the table.
- Serve right away.