Butternut Squash Bisque
- 1 2 1/2- to 3-pound butternut squash or three 12-ounce packages frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Braeburn or Gala apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 48-ounce carton reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda or smoked cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Chopped up crisp-cooked bacon and/or shaved Gouda cheese (optional)
- Peel, seed, and cube butternut squash.
- In a Dutch oven melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add squash (if using), carrot, onion, celery, and garlic and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add frozen squash (if using), apples, broth, cider, and chile peppers and simmer, covered, 25 minutes.
- Transfer soup, half at a time, to a food processor or blender.
- Cover and process or blend.
- Return pureed soup to Dutch oven.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Gently reheat over low heat, stirring occasionally and making sure soup does not boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add shredded cheese, stirring until melted.
- Top with bacon and/or shaved cheese.