Butternut Squash And Carrot Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 cups peeled, seeded, and diced butternut squash (1 small squash)
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrot (4 medium carrots)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced leek or chopped onion
- 2 14.5-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- Tarragon sprigs (optional)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add squash, carrot, and leek and cook, covered, for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Transfer squash mixture, one-third at a time, to a food processor or blender.
- Cover and process or blend until almost smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to saucepan.
- Add white pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring just to boiling.
- Add half-and-half.
- Heat through.
- Garnish each serving with tarragon.