- 2 cups all-purpose or cake flour, plus more for shaping the biscuits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk or yogurt
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add the butter and press it into the flour mixture, breaking it into tiny pieces until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Add the buttermilk and stir until the mixture comes together and forms a ball.
- Spread some flour (1/4 cup) on a clean work surface and turn the dough out onto the flour.
- Knead the dough a few times, adding more flour to your hands only if the dough is very sticky.
- Press the dough out 3/4 inch thick and cut out 1 1/2- to 2 1/2-inch rounds.
- Put the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Press together the scraps, pat them out 3/4 inch thick, and cut out more biscuits.
- Repeat once more if possible.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on size, until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Transfer the biscuits to a rack and serve within 15 minutes or wrap in foil and keep in a 200 F oven for up to an hour.