Bulgur With Feta And Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups medium- or coarse-grind bulgur
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or water
- 2 cups water or chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces if large
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Put the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the bulgur and stir until it is glossy and coated with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomatoes and wine and continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the water.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then lower the heat so that it bubbles; cover and cook, undisturbed, for 5 minutes.
- Taste the bulgur.
- If it seems dry, add 2 more tablespoons water and cook for another minute.
- When the bulgur is no longer gritty but still chewy, stir in the feta and shrimp, cover again, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the pan sit for at least 5 and up to 10 minutes.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning, and fluff the mixture.
- Serve garnished with the parsley.