- 1 medium loaf any rustic bread
- Olive oil as needed
- 1 to 4 garlic cloves, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a grill or turn on the broiler; medium-high and the rack 4 inches from the heat source.
- Trim and slice the bread into at least 8 pieces, each 1 inch thick.
- Brush both sides lightly with oil, then grill or broil them, turning once, until browned on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes.
- While the bread is still hot, rub one or both sides with the garlic.
- Put the bread on a plate, then drizzle it with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve warm.