- 8 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing the pan
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a square baking pan with butter or line it with 2 overlapping pieces of parchment paper or aluminum foil and grease the lining.
- Combine the stick of butter and the chocolate in a saucepan over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the chocolate is melted, remove the saucepan from the heat and continue to stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and the vanilla.
- Pour and scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until just barely set in the middle.
- Remove the brownies.
- If not, cut them in squares right in the pan.
- Store, covered, at room temperature, for no more than a day.