- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl and using an electric mixer, cream the butter with the brown sugar until it's light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and beat again until well combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, gently shake in flour mixture bit by bit.
- Add the chocolate and beat again until it all comes together.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the granulated sugar on a plate or work surface.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop the dough generously and roll it between hands to make balls.
- Now roll those balls around in the sugar to coat them.
- Place on the baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between the cookies.
- Bake for 9 minutes, or until the cookies just begin to crack and are set.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.