Brazilian Black Bean Stew
- 12 ounces dried black beans
- 8 cups water
- 2 large smoked ham hocks
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup snipped cilantro
- Hot cooked rice (optional)
- Rinse beans.
- In a saucepan combine beans and the water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Combine beans and all other ingredients except cilantro and rice in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer ham hocks to a cutting board, remove bones, shred meat and return to slow cooker.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve stew over rice.