Blueberry Grunt Greatness
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk, more if necessary
- In a deep 9-inch skillet, mix the blueberries, sugar, water, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the dumplings, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and allspice into a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Mix in the milk using a fork until the dough comes together.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the berries.
- Cover with a lid or foil and cook dumplings until they puff up, are cooked in the center and are lightly brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.