Bhindi (Charred, Spiced Okra)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of asafetida (optional)
- 1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 12-ounce package frozen sliced okra
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur
- In a large, shallow pan over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the ajwain seeds and cook 1 minute.
- Swirl in the turmeric and asafetida (if using), then add the chile.
- Increase the heat to high and add okra, coriander, and fennel seeds.
- Reduce the heat to medium, spread the okra in an even layer in the pan, and cook for for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Add the salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the amchur, and mix.
- Taste and adjust the salt if needed before serving.