Beefy Italian Vegetable Soup
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces boneless beef sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups escarole or kale, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, bias-sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and cook until brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove beef from Dutch oven.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to Dutch oven and cook and stir 6 minutes.
- Add vinegar.
- Stir to remove browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add broth, undrained tomatoes, wine Italian seasoning, fennel seed, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add beef, escarole, green beans, and sweet pepper.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 15 minutes.