Beef Stew With Red Wine Gravy
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
- 8 ounces parsnips, quartered lengthwise and halved
- 8 ounces carrots, quartered lengthwise and halved
- 8 ounces Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or beef broth
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Chopped roma tomatoes, golden raisins, and/or red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Crusty French bread (optional)
- Trim excess fat from beef.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large resealable plastic bag combine flour, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add meat, shaking to coat.
- In a 12-inch skillet brown meat half at a time in hot oil, adding more oil, if necessary.
- In a slow cooker place onions, parsnips, carrots, and artichokes.
- Top with meat.
- Add wine and beef broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 12 to 14 hours or on high for 6 to 7 hours.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Sprinkle tomatoes, raisins, and/or vinegar on each serving.
- Serve with crusty bread.