Beef And Red Bean Chili
- 1 cup dry red beans or dry red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck pot roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 to 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce*
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped cilantro
- Rinse beans.
- Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the meat and the onion and cook and stir until meat is brown.
- Transfer meat-onion mixture to a slow cooker.
- Repeat with remaining meat.
- Stir remaining ingredients except red sweet pepper and cilantro in slow cooker.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Stir into mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Top each serving with sweet pepper and cilantro.