Beef And Borscht Stew
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, or one 16-ounce can diced beets, drained
- 2 cups chopped, peeled potato
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomato
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- Sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
- In a skillet cook meat, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat until brown.
- Drain fat.
- In a slow cooker combine all remaining ingredients except cabbage and yogurt.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- If using low setting, turn to high setting.
- Stir in cabbage.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Serve with sour cream.