Barley-Vegetable Chicken Soup
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup regular barley
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1 1/4 pounds total), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup snipped parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon snipped sage or rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried sage or rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped green, yellow, and/or red sweet pepper
- In a Dutch oven bring broth to boiling.
- Add barley.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except sweet pepper.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add sweet pepper and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.