Baked Potato Soup
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons snipped dill or chives or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups shredded American cheese
- 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Scrub potatoes with a vegetable brush.
- Pat dry.
- Prick several times with a fork.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Gently scoop out pulp, breaking up any large pieces.
- Discard potato skins.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add half of the green onion and cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk all at once and cook and stir for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the potato pulp and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Top each serving with remaining cheese, remaining green onion, and bacon.