Baked Fried Chicken
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 or 9 chicken pieces
- 1 1/2 cups dry or fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs (about 6 slices of bread)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Combine the buttermilk and garlic in a shallow pan.
- Add the chicken pieces, turning to coat thoroughly, then cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge to marinate for at least half an hour or overnight.
- Turn the chicken pieces over at least once while marinating.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a bowl, stir together breadcrumbs, thyme, lemon zest, and salt and pepper.
- Drain the chicken pieces and dredge them in the breadcrumbs, then arrange on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Press crumbs onto the chicken if some coating falls off.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is deeply golden and the meat is cooked through.