Baked Eggs With Onions And Cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 cups grated Gruyere, fontina, or other melting cheese
- 8 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted bread or English muffins for serving
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Put the butter or oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter has melted or the oil is hot, add the onions.
- Cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are very soft and tender but not browned, at least 15 minutes.
- Spread the onions over the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle half the bread crumbs over the onions, then sprinkle on half the cheese.
- Use the back of a spoon to make 8 nests in the mixture.
- Crack the eggs and open them into each indentation.
- Top with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and the remaining bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the egg whites are opaque.
- Serve with toasted bread.