Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped unpeeled apple (firm apples like Gala or Honeycrisp work well)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, applesauce, butter and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the chopped apples and the nuts (if using).
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until oatmeal is firmly set.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Cover leftovers and refrigerate.
- It warms up perfectly the next day.