- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- About 1 pound thinly sliced bacon
- 2 lemons, cut into quarters, for serving
- Soak wooden toothpicks in warm water while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the oil, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the scallops to the marinade and toss to coat.
- Let the scallops sit in the bowl while cooking the bacon.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Prepare a grill or turn on the broiler; medium-high and the rack 4 inches from the heat source.
- Brush the grates clean and grease them well.
- Broiling, grease a baking sheet with a thin film of oil.
- Put the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook, turning until the slices are cooked lightly but flexible enough to wrap around a scallop, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining bacon.
- Cut the bacon into pieces that will wrap around the scallops without overlapping too much.
- Wrap each piece around a scallop and secure it with one of the soaked toothpicks, stuck horizontally through the center.
- To grill: Put the scallops directly over the fire.
- To broil: Put the scallops on the prepared baking sheet and under the heat source.
- Cook, turning once, until they are lightly charred on both sides and a paring knife can be inserted with little resistance, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve right away, with the lemon wedges.