Baby Vegetable Minestrone
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced baby fennel
- 1 medium carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth or 3 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dried ditalini or other small dried pasta
- 6 ounces baby zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 6 ounces baby yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese, cut into 6 very thin wedges (optional)
- In a very saucepan heat oil over medium heat.
- Add fennel, carrot, garlic, and lemon pepper and cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth.
- Simmer, covered, 8 minutes.
- Add pasta and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in green onion and basil.
- Place a wedge of cheese in each of six warmed bowls.
- Add hot soup.
- Let cheese soften slightly before serving.