Aunt Cathryn's Pecan Bread
- 3 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Lightly flour a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Stir in the pecans.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the buttermilk and extracts.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and give it a quick stir just to combine-don't overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto the baking sheet and form it into a ball.
- Flip it over.
- Cut an X across the top of the dough, about 1/4 inch deep and slightly deeper in the middle.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 400 F and bake for another 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a rack and allow to cool completely.