- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 15.5-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow sweet pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 8.5-ounce box corn bread mix, prepared according to package directions (optional)
- In a slow cooker combine beef, beans, drained tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, broth, sweet pepper, 2 tablespoons of the chili powder, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon of the oregano.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and serve with corn bread.